Legal Requirements for your Marriage

Notice of Intended Marriage

You must lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage with me at least one month, and no more than eighteen months, before you wish to marry. 
The form is available from me.
You must produce:

  • A birth certificate or passport.
  • If previously married and divorced, a decree absolute/certificate  of divorce; or
  • If previously married and widowed, a death certificate.

Notice of Intended Marriage

'Happily Ever Before and After' is a government publication that explains what marriage in Australia means. 

Happily Ever Before and After


Documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified translation into English.
There are several translation services available in Victoria and they can be found in the Yellow Pages directory. 
The Victorian Government translating service, Victorian Interpreting & Translating Services, can be contacted on 9280 1955. 

Obtain your certificate of marriage for changing your name from the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriage


On your wedding day you will need two witnesses over the age of 18. If you wish, I can organise this for you.


If you are bringing a partner into Australia on a prospective spouse visa, I can give you the necessary letter for the Department of Immigration.

For couples applying for entry into Australia under the Prospective Marriage Visa plan.

Pre Marriage Relationship Counselling

Relationships Australia

Celebrant Code of Practice

Marriage Celebrants Code of Practice 



Call or email me for an obligation free chat to discuss your plans  on 0408 330 690 or